This may not seem relevant to a lot of you guys, but for me, this is something I’ve been struggling with for years and it’s mainly due to the work I do: bad posture.
My job is sitting at a desk for about 8-10 hours a day. When I started my record store, I started walking around more, so that helped, but I still couldn’t shake my hunched back.
I’ve tried a lot. Massages, Chiropractors and standing desks. Even the ol’ wives tale: “put a stick behind your back and hang your arms over it”. Every little bit helped, but nothing as much as these 3 simple exercises.
I Googled “posture correction” and came across the following video with 3 simple exercises that I thought looked pretty silly to actually be effective, but my back hurt and I took whatever advice was available.
- Step 1: Put your back against a wall. Push your head against the wall and tuck in your chin (important!)
- Step 2: Move your arms up and down to a 45-degree angle, like you’re “flapping your wings” (I know, right?). Do this 10 times.
- Step 3: Cover your ears with the palms of your hands and point them back down to a 45-degree angle. Do this 10 times.
- Step 4: Pretend you’re climbing a rope ladder with just your arms. Use all the muscles you’d normally use to do so. Climb 10 steps.
- Step 5: Repeat step 1 to 4, 3 times. Repeat all of this twice a day.
The whole process takes less than 3 to 5 minutes.
What I’ve found is that first off, it felt like a workout the first few times I did it as if I was lifting weights. It immediately helped me stand up straighter. Of course, I started slouching later in the day, but I simply reset that by doing the exercises again.
Why am I writing this? Because I know a lot of people with bad posture. If they read this, I hope they take my advice and check out the video and at least try the exercises for a couple of days.